4.13.2011

Easy, Healthy, and lasts 3 days in the fridge!!

  What am I referring to you ask? Well its Wednesday, and that means I'm going to share a delicious recipe!

Grandma Sim's Seriously Delicious Lentil Salad of course!
    
    I first tried this salad at Josh's grandparent's house during a visit years ago, and I was hooked!! It is light and so flavorful, with flavors you can't quite put your finger on but LOVE. It is Packed with nutrition, seriously, lentils, brown rice, and olive oil to name a few. It makes a perfect side dish or a great lunch. My favorite part about this salad ( besides the fact that my picky toddler will actually eat it! ) is that it lasts in the fridge for 3 days, and trust me you wont get sick of it by then. It finally occurred to me to get the recipe from Grandma when we were visiting over Christmas and I've made it several times since. Enjoy!!


Ingredients:
1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of cayenne  Tip: This does actually make a difference on the taste, so if your tempted to skip it (like I was) don't!
One 19 oz can of lentils ( rinsed well )
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley 
2 cups of cooked long or short grain brown rice
3/4 cup diced red onion  Tip: If your not a fan of red onion or are planning on feeding this to a child, chop them finely.
1/2 cup currents
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint


  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, cinnamon and cayenne.
  2. Toss in the brown rice until just combined.
  3. Add the parsley, red onion, currants, dried cranberries, and mint. Toss until just combined. serve, cover and refrigerate, lasts up to 3 days.
  

Ellie with her great grandma and grandpa.
   I can't wait to hear what everybody thinks of this seriously yummy salad. Serve it to your kids or serve it at a dinner party, everyone will be impressed, and you can pretend you made it up ;)
 
  
I'm very excited for Fridays post, even though I haven't had time to do any of my spring or summer clothing shopping, I did purchase a couple items recently from a certain online fashion/deal website.

- Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment